Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The summer of the weird tan lines







The summer of 2011 is officially over. For me it was the summer of the weird tan lines, reminding me of how stupid I can get when it comes to listening to my body and ignoring a muscle strain. After a good spring with lots of fun, beautiful races and some nice PRs, I might have picked one race too many and since I only had 2 more planned, I kept on running and training after my adductor muscle felt quite tight (I blame that ONE night I did not warm up properly!) and hurt more and more, except when running. This led to compensating and a big muscle strain in my entire adductor plus quad. After a couple of weeks of no running at all I was a spin class junkie until I was allowed to slowly increase mileage and ease back into it and slowly integrate marathon training a couple weeks into the 16 week plan I wanted to follow.
The day I was supposed to run the Fairfield Half I was cheering on my Harrier friends followed by a couple hours of tanning at Jennings Beach. The Fairfield Half is so much fun and well organized. Since I limped around, some nice physical therapists assessed me quickly and referred me to the massage tent where I got a good deep tissue massage and splendid pink KT tape (kinesio tape) applied on my upper leg. After all of that I limped a little less and knew it was time to call my own PT back in New York since I realized this was going to take longer than a few weeks.
We had a terrific day of sun and I got a very visible tan line from the KT tape. It was the start of the summer and it raised some questions and comments. One 5 year old girl told me I had a funny tan-line. I was surprised she knew exactly what a tan-line was at that age and that she was concerned for me looking funny. The line slowly faded away and was barely visible towards the end of the summer. Quite symbolic, because by the end of the summer I was back at reasonable mileage and ready to run the Hood to Coast Relay in Oregon with a terrific group of people, who called themselves the Crazy Nastyass Honey Badgers (inspired by a famous YouTube video by Randall). I made fantastic new friends, ran down Mt. Hood in a 5:58 first mile and experienced complete soreness and tightness of the calves thanks to a 6 mile downhill run.
I ran through Portland waterfront with a headlamp, then through some sketchy industrial area where I had to run fast in fear of scary pickup trucks stopping for no reason. I had my last leg through beautiful rolling hills countryside. I slept in the van, in a High School gym, ate peanut butter banana sandwiches and cheered on my teammates including spontaneous dance jam sessions while Black Eyed Peas blasted from the speakers.
After finishing in Seaside, OR, the trip wasn't over yet. I had a few more days of Portland, OR fun together with some other honey badgers, who were now really good friends. We visited vineyards and tasted wine, checked out waterfalls and drove through the Gorge. Beautiful!!
Back in New York I got back into long runs by applying a generous 10% rule in order to resume my marathon schedule. It all went much better until a few weeks ago, when I got completely caught up in the schedule and forgot to include proper rest time. I felt good and forgot that the barely visible crazy tan line ironically resembled a muscle that was not completely back to normal yet and I pushed that muscle a little too far. The PT thought I strained it again and recommended an MRI. Luckily no stress fracture, but a stress reaction, which is an inflammation of muscle tissue which can lead to a stress fracture. To avoid this I was told to run a little less miles, avoid speed- and hill-work to prevent further flare-ups.
Thank goodness, that after logging an 18 miler and 20 miler I don't need to be sidelined on November 6th! A week of rest did the trick and when my friend and I were in Chicago during the weekend of the Chicago Marathon, I was allowed to run and build up mileage leading to one final long run this upcoming weekend. After my final long run, two weeks of taper will start and a week later I'll be in Holland visiting my family and attending my brother's wedding, so exciting! Plus I will be running some easy flat roads 20 feet below sea level where my parents live. Can't wait to run with my 'little' sister! This blog was started by the two of us after all and I heard she picked up running again after taking a little break. On November 5th I'll be flying back to NYC, pick up my number at the expo and if nothing gets screwed up, I'll run the NYC Marathon the next day.
Personal Record? I hope so and I'll give it my all, but considering the injury setbacks and traveling schedule, I am first and foremost very happy to be able to participate. It's like a special holiday to me, I can't wait to run all 5 boroughs for the 2nd time and I plan and hope to smile as much as last year.
This year, I've made some great new friends through my running team the New York Harriers, besides the ones I'm already blessed to call my friends for the past years, since I joined the team. We've had some really enjoyable training runs, injury frustrations, tough workouts and tasty post-run brunches together. So I'm going to be thankful for all my friends, fun and health benefits that come with running. Inside and out!

Wishing all Marathon runner friends an amazing race and supporters / cheerleaders a great time as well as successful other races, since there's more than just the marathon of course, which is sometimes hard to remember when at the peak of training and excitement!

No comments:

Post a Comment