Saturday, September 14, 2013

Vera's fitness favorites entering fall

Summer is coming to an end, today is the first day waking up feeling the crisp air and feeling the need to add a blanket.
I love Autumn in New York. (The Charlie Parker jazz song with this name too by the way!) It's the season of Halloween and Thanksgiving, my favorite American holiday. A season with beautiful weather for outdoor activities, whether it's running, cycling or hiking. Central Park looks different and gorgeous EVERY day and going upstate or to NJ for apple picking is such a fun and relaxing thing to do. It's the season of the New York City Marathon, so many running friends are getting their long runs in, followed by replenishing brunches. My marathon training starts in October so I will log many miles the upcoming months.
September marks the start of a new school year, but at my job it marks the start of a new UN year, the 68th session of the General Assembly. The past few weeks have been very busy in preparation of the delegation coming from the Netherlands, creating the programs is a big puzzle and sometimes a logistical nightmare, but it's so exciting at the same time and you really work with your colleagues as a team and get to know each other better. In two more weeks this will be wrapped up, so let's hope it all goes well! 
It's great to start something fresh and new with realistic and sometimes unrealistic expectations. 
Since I'm so excited about the fall season, let me share a fitness-related top 10 of current favorites, summer discoveries and fall-related favorites:

1. Sparkly Soul non-slip headbands: I recently got a new lime green headband, but also still rock my orange one from time to time, which I got for the 2011 NYC Marathon. I usually lose my headbands, but this one stayed on all 26.2 miles. This picture ended up on the NYRR local gallery and it's on Central Park South in mile 26! 
 
2. Headsweats visors: seriously, last year I started using visors and this brand is amazing; keeps the sweat, sunscreen and sun out of your eyes. 
Many runners and triathletes swear by Headsweats!
3. Sugoi Armwarmers: my favorite item when it's nippy yet not too cold you need to wear a jacket. My tattoo sleeves are my favorites, soft and warm and you can stash your gels in there too! I understand arm warmers started with cyclists; so guess what, I'll wear them on the bike too this fall!

4. Song: Applause by Lady Gaga. AMAZING song that helps you push through tough intervals in cycling class or maintain a steady run pace.

5. Talking cycling class, see previous blog, yes my favorite: RealRide by Kristin Kenney at Revolve - hands down the best!

6. Green apples; my favorite snack, almost every day. My mom taught me my first English phrase when I was 6: 'an apple a day keeps the doctor away'. Chile would be bankrupt if I didn't support their apples.

7. Breakfast; my oatmeal, sooo good.

8. Once in a while treat: PSL! A tall skimmed extra hot 1 pump pumpkin spiced latte. Starbucks is celebrating the 10 year anniversary of the PSL. congrats!

9. My favorite running shoe since Thanksgiving last year, I'm on my 5th pair now: the New Balance 890V2. I had multiple colors, but this edition is wild!

10. My favorite eyeshadow that stays on through sweaty workouts and doesn't make me look like a clown: Bobbi Brown long last cream eyeshadow in sandy gold. Awesome product. I want more. Perfectly paired with Inimitable mascara by Chanel or Dior Show (waterproof though!)







No comments:

Post a Comment